25 July 2014

Photographer’s Humorous Self-Portraits Poke Fun At Our Selfie-Obsessed Society



That one time I asked the workers of the world to unite



Photographer Mike Mellia, who previously paid tribute to his late father with a collection of cinematic images and inserted his face into products of iconic brands, has a humorous self-portrait series that pokes fun at our selfie-obsessed society.



His series ‘A Selfie a Day Keeps the Doctor Away’ skewers the narcissistic culture of snapping selfies and sharing them on social media by examining their two extremes of “mundane normalcy or unbridled megalomania.”



Mellia photographed himself dressed in different costumes and paired the images with dry, witty quotes that are meant to sound deep and thoughtful.



Check out some photographs below and follow Mellia’s project here.





That one time I played backgammon in an old warehouse in Mongolia





That one time I trekked through the mountains of Chile





That one time I read Wikileaks





That one time I sang at the opera





That one time I went birdwatching





That one time I visited a Dutch astronomer





That one time I developed film using only my mind





[via Cool Hunting, images via Mike Mellia]