22 August 2014

Dreamy, Magical Photographs Of Fireflies Illuminating A Forest





Like his compatriots Tsuneaki Hiramatsu and Yume, Japanese photographer Takehito Miyatake takes dreamy, ethereal photographs of fireflies illuminating a forest.



Taken with long exposure, which can range anywhere from three to 30 minutes, his images of fireflies forming glowing, yellow dots and dazzling light trails are magically surreal.



In an interview with Lightbox, he said he derives inspiration from waka, a classical form of Japanese poetry.



“The poetry of Kubota represents what I saw and felt when I took these images. When I photograph, a mystic feeling comes over me. I sometimes admire the mysterious legends that are a part of Japanese folklore that expresses a fear of nature. I believe Waka also intends to capture this sort of fear of the mystic beauty of nature.”



Scoll down to view more of his photographs.

























[via Beautiful Decay, images via Takehito Miyatake]