22 August 2014

Intense Portraits Reveal The Faces Behind London’s Skinhead Movement





When photographer Derek Ridgers first met a group of people from the skinhead movement in London more than three decades ago, he could not recognize them.



Ridgers said, “I thought they were art school type skinhead revivalists, or kids from a fashion college… I never at that point thought they were real skinheads. It wasn’t until I went with them to the seaside and I got talking to them on the train down that I realized what their ideology was.”



After spending five years with them, Ridgers produced a set of portraits of these youths, ranging from intense and curious looks to laughing and smiling faces.



Interestingly, Ridgers’ photos hardly featured any inkling of “outspoken politics or violence”, despite the subculture’s seemingly associations with these elements.



“I thought if I saw them fighting I wouldn’t photograph it, but I just never saw anything, no violence at all. It’s unexpected but I sometimes think perhaps I was just lucky!” said Ridgers.



Ridgers’ photos, together with stories of his memorable trip, was recently released in a photo book, Skinheads 1978-1984.



Scroll down to view a selection of photos from Ridgers’ book, which is available for purchase at £14.95.



































[via Konbini, Images via AnOther Magazine]