24 May 2013

Unbelievable Sculptures That Don’t Look Like They’re Made Of Wood, But Are

[Click here to view the video in this article]







Professor and sculptor Tom Eckert creates amazing sculptures out of wood, that look incredibly unlike wood.



Working entirely with only wood and paint, and references to actual objects—Eckert painstakingly carves out his realistic-looking sculptural illusions of soft cloth placed on floating books, floating playing cards and other objects.



“Since childhood, I’ve been curious about and amused by mistaken impressions of reality presented as part of my visual experiences,” Eckert said in a video.



“One of my earliest recollections, on a car trip, was my perception of the wet, slick highway ahead that turned out to be an illusion, a mirage. The revelation that I was fooled, visually and intellectually tricked, stuck with me. This visual deception is now the basis for my creative direction.”

































































[via Twisted Sifters]