11 July 2013

A Sneak Peek At Sold Annotated First Edition of First Harry Potter Book

“Harry Potter and The Philosopher’s Stone changed my life forever”. “Perhaps Hufflepuff house would have the respect it deserves from fans if I'd stayed with my original idea of a bear to represent it”?





The annotated first edition of J.K Rowling’s first Harry Potter book has been auctioned off for £150,000.



Part of the Sotheby’s English PEN charity auction, each famous writer was asked to choose one of his or her books to annotate.



Rowling chose the first Harry Potter book to annotate, which includes her thoughts on both the film and book as well as 22 drawings.



There is also a 43 page “second thoughts” section in this edition, with Rowling telling the reader that she wrote the book “in snatched hours, in clattering cafes or in the dead of night.”



The book was purchased by an anonymous bidder via phone, and will be making its way to a new home soon.



One can only wonder what literary gems and tidbits this first edition conceals.



Scroll down for a sneak preview of this exclusive first edition.



“Harry Potter rolled over inside his blankets without waking”.





“Quidditch was invented in a small hotel in Manchester after a row with my then boyfriend. I had been pondering the things that hold a society together, cause it to congregate and signify its particular character and knew I needed a sport. It infuriates men, in my experience (why is the Snitch so valuable etc.), which is quite satisfying given my state of mind when I invented it”.





[via Daily Mail, The Guardian]