30 April 2015

This 15-Year-Old Guy Wants Men To Bring Pads & Tampons For Women



15-year-old Jose Garcia is winning the hearts of women lately with his social media movement.

Started last month, his ‘#RealMenSupportWomen’ campaign calls men to bring with them a couple of sanitary pads or tampons, lending a helping hand to women who may be caught unaware by their periods.

He told The Daily Dot, “My inspiration didn’t come from one source only, but just from day to day things that have happened around me, like a friend staining her pants or feeling uncomfortable to ask for a sweater to tie around their waist because their pants are stained.”

The high school student also wishes to end the stigma surrounding periods.

He said, “I also believe that asking for a pad or a tampon shouldn’t be such a taboo thing to boys. It’s a natural thing that happens to women.”

While the ladies have been lauding Garcia’s initiative, some guys do not take well to this refreshing take on being a supportive pillar to the fairer sex’s time of the month.

“Most of my guy friends have just been kidding with me and teasing me for the attention that I’m getting from girls. But guys in general are just calling me names or assuming that I’m homosexual...behind my back,” said Garcia.

Nevertheless, he added that he wouldn’t let this stop him from effecting some positive change, no matter how minor it may be.

He said, “I, in fact, consider myself a feminist. I believe that there should be equality for everyone regardless of their sex, gender, skin color, race, religion, etc. so it would be nice to use this attention for something positive.

“I realize I can’t help solve any of the big issues right now regarding women and/or men (rape, discrimination, slut shaming, unrealistic body standards, objectivism). Maybe with this hashtag I could help with other minor things.”

Check out his Instagram post below.

TO EVERY BOY THAT FOLLOWS ME AND CALLS HIMSELF A MAN OR SIMPLY A GOOD HUMAN BEING. Petition for all of us to start bringing a couple pads or tampons to school to help our girl friends. If you have a girlfriend or are friends with a girl, u should know that they do not always have tampons or pads on them, or that sometimes their period just hits them without notice and have a bit of a problem finding one. We should support them with this, after all, we don't have to go trough all they they do because of menstruation, so it's just logical that we help them. You should already know to give them your sweater and not question when they wrap it around their waist. So let's step it up a notch and help them out. IF YOU HAVE ANY RESPECT FOR YOUR MOTHER, YOUR GIRLFRIEND, OR JUST WOMEN IN GENERAL I EXPECT FOR YOU TO FOLLOW ME ON THIS. To every girl that follows me. You are completely welcomed to ask me for a pad at any time without receiving a negative response or a dirty look. We should all help each other out like this so you don't have to thank me at all. #realmensupportwomen

A photo posted by Jose Garcia (@falloutbooty99) on Mar 20, 2015 at 11:26am PDT





[via Hello Giggles, images via Jose Garcia]